Wednesday 9 November 2011

NEW HYTHE'S BITTERNS ARE BACK!


I knew they were back the other evening when I visited the lake, because I could see the bunched and bent reed stems which they or it, had climbed up, just like in the pictures here. But I was still surprised to spot this one today in the middle of the morning giving good views and not taking much notice as I watched and was joined by Dennis and Doreen. I must say it looked in superb condition in the slightly better light today and I hope it stays that way, they had a very hard time of it in the severe conditions of last winter. It's great to see them back, which is why i've gone a bit overboard with the pictures.












Other highlights today were two Little Egrets on the river, together with good numbers of Teal a splendid Kingfisher which brightened the early gloom and two Redshanks who were, like the Snipe last week, hitching a ride on the fast flowing incoming tide, on board a raft of reed stems.



There were plenty of Redwings in the sunken marsh feeding on the abundant supply of Sloes. Fieldfares were few and far between though but I did spot the one above who hung around just long enough for a sneaky snap for a change. Cetti's Warblers were still in good voice around the marsh as was a single Goldcrest and a good size flock of Siskins were seen flying over.



A small flock of ever welcome Long-tailed Tits pictured above and below passed through the Willows along Streamside, as did a single Treecreeper and another Siskin was seen, this time feeding on the Alder seeds. Thirty nine species in total this morning in about three hours, not spectacular but if i'd only seen the Bittern I would have been happy enough.



By the time I got home the sun had come out, this prompted the pair of Common Darters pictured below to take to the wing and spend five minutes apparently ovipositing in my pond. Not bad for the 9th November.



10 comments:

Warren Baker said...

Thats fantastic to see the Bitterns back Phil ! Nothing wrong with your Fieldfare photo mate, it's just a bit further away than mine was :-)

Alan Pavey said...

Nice one Phil, Bitterns are special anywhere, especially on your own patch!!

Mike Attwood said...

You are only about thirty miles from me and you seem to get everthing. Can you push a bit over to my patch.

Bob Bushell said...

Oh, the Bittern is waiting, terrific photos.

Greenie said...

Phil ,
Great news , and I don't blame you going overboard .
Must visit soon .

Rob said...

Since they came back, there's obviously no truth in the saying, 'Once Bittern, twice shy.'
I wish I could get some bird photos like these - great stuff!

Adam said...

Nice one Phil - wonder how many we'll have this winter??

Adam

Jason K said...

It's always great to see Bitterns, you are lucky to have them wintering at New Hyde Phil.

I don't get them on my patch but they do winter 10 miles downthe road at Upton Warren...so I will have to pay there a visit soon

Ken. said...

Hi Phil.
If a Bittern was ever to return we could always rely on you to spot it first. Like you, I would have taken many photo's of it, long may it stay, I will try to come down there next week or asap.
Well done with the fieldfare shot.

Ornitocampero.blogspot.com.es said...

The bittern, avery difficult bird to observe where I live...good pics!
Saludos!