Monday 30 November 2009

Water water everywhere.

The plan was to go to New Hythe this morning and scour the lakes for any new arrivals over the weekend....................but I wimped out! At 9.30 it was as dark as it had been at 7 o'clock and it was still raining, with a promise of another 25mm or so still to come. My back garden now resembles a pond, in fact it is one really, the borders are almost completely under water now and my actual pond has overflowed and is gradually spreading over the grass, I think there is a good chance of a visit by a few of the pochard and tufties from the other side of the fence before long.
I did get out for a flying visit to the lakes this afternoon though, I parked at the waterworks entrance, well you would in this weather, and had a quick look round, a lot of the ditches that were completely dry during much of the summer are almost full to the top now and the millstream is pushing through quite fast and coloured. I couldn't find anything out of the ordinary but to be honest the light was still really poor, I did see a couple of foxes though, the first strolled across the track in front of me and was quite lean with a very dark back, I thought it was a dog at first. The second one, for reasons known only to itself, was plodding knee deep through the mud on the opposite bank of the river, this is the one that introduced itself to the swans in a previous post. A quick look at streamside lake for the bittern was also unsuccessful and by 4.30 the last of the light disappeared and so did I.

No comments: